Oliban or frankincense is produced from the resin of trees belonging to the genus Boswellia . The properties of the incense are explained by the presence of active compounds originally present in the resin of Boswelia carterii . The oliban has very woody fragrance, with a touch of mineral and slightly spicy.
Common Names: Frankincense, Oliban, Incense, Oilbanum
Latin name: Boswelia carterii
Species: In the genus Boswellia, the resins of 3 species are more particularly distilled: the Carterii that grows in Arabia and Somalia, the Frereana from Somalia and Kenya, and the Serrata from India. Their properties and uses are very similar.
Botanical family : Burseraceae
Distilled part: Resin
Origin : Somalia, Arabia
Main chemical compound: Monoterpenes (40 to 85%) (Pinenes, Limonene, Myrcene), Sesquiterpenes (3 to 12%) (beta-caryophyllene).
Other chemical compounds : Monoterpenols (1 to 2%) (Borneol, Olibanol), Sesquiterpenols (1 to 2%).
General Uses of Frankincense:
- The presence of Sesquiterpene carbides in this oil makes it a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.
- It can be used to treat all infections: influenza mononucleosis, shingles, herpes, hepatitis and viral enteritis due to its anti-infectious properties. .
- The essential incense oil can be used to treat skin inflammations, stretch marks and scars.
- Due to its analgesic properties it can be used to relieve osteoarthritis, rheumatism or tendinitis.
- Due to its relaxing and sedative properties, it is effective for treating insomnia.
- The smell of the frankincense oil relaxes the body and calms emotions.
- The use of oliban should be avoided during pregnancy and lactation.
- Use of high doses should be avoided.
- Do not take orally except on doctor’s recommendation.
Magickal Uses of Frankincense
- For Protection and Purification: The oilban oil can be used in protection and purification spells. Witches use this incense to banish evil and negativity from an area. Frankincense can also be used to raise the energy level of certain place.
- Meditation: Due to its ability to uplift vibrations it is a better choice of meditation incense and can be used to promote spiritual growth as well as to induce visions.
- Offering to the Sun Deity: It is a great herbal offering to any Sun Deity and when burnt with other herbs, it sends off strong vibrations that work to increase the action/effect of the other herbs.
The frankincense oil which is formed by purifying resin from the trunk of Boswellia, has been used for thousands of years for medical purposes, as well as in religious and cultural ceremonies. Today, research tells us that incense oil is strongly linked to the prevention of cancer. It effectively helps target cancer cells while preserving healthy cells, which is why this incense oil is used in conjunction with traditional cancer treatments by many holistic therapists.