Letting go of the past is not always an easy thing to do and even when a person makes an attempt to move on, the pains of the past could still be there to torment the individual. The memory of a bad relationship, the loss of a loved one, an unhappy childhood experience, trauma of some life situation or some accident are examples of some past occurrences that could come haunting in the present.
So, what should you do if you found yourself in such a situation? You can try a voodoo ritual that would help you to get away from a negative past experience and launch you into a new beginning.
- A charcoal disk and a fireproof plate
- Incense mixture (for purification)
- Matches or lighter
- Chalk or salt for the magic circle
- A dark blue candle (representing the deep mind or the unconscious mind)
- A black cord (length 21cm)
- Another fire-proof dish to burn (for example, an old pot)
If you like the Tarot, you can use the Death card as a symbol for your ritual. It will symbolize the end of your suffering. Death must come first before a new beginning and this “death” will clear a new path for you.
Dark moon (or dead moon), the best day is Saturday, but any other day is fine too.
- Write a list of your past experiences you would like to break free from. The best time to do this is a day after the dark moon.
- Make a circle using chalk or salt.
- Light the charcoal disk and the candle. Then say: “Where there was darkness, now there is light.”
- Put the incense on the charcoal. Relax and feel how the smoke purifies the atmosphere.
- Tie a knot on the left side of the cord, to represent your past. Tie another knot on the right side of the cord. It represents your future free of past experiences.
- Ask for a greater power of light and love to come and help you.
- There are two options on how to cut the connection between the past and the future. The first is to keep the “past” in your left hand, and the “future” in your right hand. Then let the flame burn through the cord. Another option is to cut the connection between the past and the future with scissors. Choose any option that is best for you.
- After that, place the last knot together with the paper (your list) on the fireproof plate and let it burn completely.
- Sit, relax, meditate. Pray to the Higher Power and believe that you have been set free from the past.
- Say thanks to this Power for help.
- End the ritual, pack the ashes and pour it into a flowing water. Or take it to the hill and let the wind blow it away.
A Banishing and New Beginning Ritual
- A paper and pen
- A plain black candle (black is for banishing)
- A fireproof bowl or small cauldron
- A plain green candle (green is linked to success and new ventures)
- Any incense of your choice.
- Cast a circle if your tradition requires that you do so.
- Light a black candle then spend a few minutes meditating on all issues affecting you and preventing you from moving forward.
- You can call on any of your favorite deities to assist you or you can call on the Universe.
- When you are ready, recite this:
“Life is a twisting and turning path, ever changing and flowing.
My journey has brought me this far, and I am ready to take the next step.
I call upon the energies and powers of [deity name, or simply The Universe]
to guide me on my way.
Today, I say farewell to all that has prevented me from becoming the person
I wish to be.”
Write down all the past things that are affecting your present life. List out those things you would want to get off your life. Those things that make you feel stuck and prevent you from growing.
After writing them down, light the paper in the candle flames then place the burning paper into a cauldron or bowl. As you watch it burn, recite:
“I send you away, far from me, and far from my life.
You no longer have any influence on me.
You are my past, and the past is gone.
I banish you, I banish you, I banish you!”
Allow the paper to burn completely and when that is done, extinguish the black candle and light the green one. Now, the next thing to do would be to focus your thoughts on the new things you desire.
Do you need a new lover or a child? Do you need money? Would you love to relocate to a new city? Focus your thoughts on those things. Light the incense from the flames of the green candle then as the smoke ascends to the sky say:
“It is a time for change. It is time to begin anew.
It is time to be a new person, strong and secure and confident.
These are the things I will achieve,
and I ask [deity name or The Universe] for guidance and assistance.
I send my request out into the skies, to the heavens on this smoke,
and I know that I will become a better person for it.”
Say aloud those new things you wish. Be positive and affirmative while stating your confessions. For example, you can say; “I am healthy”, “I have found love”, “I am wealthy”, etc.
Reflect on the changes you hope to see then when you are done, extinguish the candle and end the ritual. After a few days, you will notice the beginning of new things in your life.