If you are fortunate to live near a river, or a stream, or a lake, or someplace with sufficient humidity, then you must be used to seeing the Horsetail plant frequently. This plant also known as Equisetum arvense, is a very valuable plant that has been around for more than millions of years. It is widely known for its medicinal and magickal properties.
General Characteristics of Horsetail
Planetary Association: Saturn
The Horsetail plant is very rich in silica and this property made it a very effective healing herb. In the olden days, these plants grew as tall trees that formed a forest covering large tracts of land. It also served as a scouring rush and craftsmen used it as a fine sandpaper to polish metals and precious stones.
Due to its fungicidal properties, the Horsetail plant serves as an effective cleansing agent. It is important to note that this plant also contains some levels of toxicity, especially if not harvested at the right time. The best time to harvest the Horsetail plant is in midsummer when it is very large and somewhat succulent.
Sometimes, people often confuse this plant with other similar plants of same species that are actually really toxic. So, if you don’t know how to identify the real Horsetail, you should steer clear so you wouldn’t end up harvesting very toxic species.
Examples of Health Conditions Treated with Horsetail
- Chronic lung disease.
- Inflammation of the respiratory tract.
- Brittle nails and hair.
- Aging skin.
- Eases nervous tension.
- Heals hemorrhage and cleanses wounds.
- Weakness of the bladder.
- Strengthens a weak immune system.
- It helps to form collagen, which improves the condition of our nails, hair and skin.
- Avoids the appearance of gray hair.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It soothes menstrual pains.
- Treats eczema and dermatological problems.
- Treats eye problems, such as myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism.
- It improves memory retention.
- Controls excess underarm sweat, and can be used as a deodorant when mixed with vinegar.
The Magickal Uses of the Horsetail Plant
The Horsetail is commonly used to;
- Strengthen boundaries,
- as a protection against intruders in the home,
- to strengthen commitments and vows spells,
- for fertility rituals,
- For summoning of snakes and preparing snake portions,
- For Anti-ageing spells,
- And for cleansing unnecessary emotional rubble and debris from one’s mind.
Disclaimer: Although the Horsetail plant has medicinal properties, you should not use it to treat any health condition without a doctor’s recommendation. Do not consume this plant if you are pregnant or lactating. Also, individuals with heart and kidney disorders should not use this plant. Self-prescription is dangerous so you should always consult a physician before use.